Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Roasted Grape Tomatoes

My mom warned me: some time this past month her grape tomatoes had gone from sugary sweet to sassily tart. Maybe they got bitter about the end of summer? Something gave these little orbs an attitude. I decided the only fitting treatment for them was Hansel & Gretel style: into the oven, my pretties.

I seasoned them with salt and pepper and put them on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. They cooked for about an hour at 400 degrees, and then I turned the oven off and left them to roast some more in the cooling oven.

They taste, as husband said, not unlike a tomato craisin, if such a thing existed. Slightly caramelized, and quite tart, almost like a sundried tomato. They'll be lovely in an omelet, sandwich or with fish. Thanks, Mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of sassy tomatoes. I totally sympathize with them: I also am not looking forward to the end of summer. Roasted tomatoes are so yummy.

Anonymous said...

Those tomatoes! I need a handful of them right now. Yum.

blighter said...

They went "from sugary sweet to sassily tart"?

Sounds like a girl entering puberty!

HI-YO!!

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your server.