Sunday, May 25, 2008

Farmer's Market



Today we went to the local Farmer's Market to poke around. It was fabulous as always; I wanted to roll around in the piles of lettuce, but restrained myself.

On a more serious note, I am always cheered to see signs that vegetables are being made more accessible to people. Above, is a sign a farmer had out that indicated that he accepts WIC.

After doing some digging around, I learned that my city has participated in the Farmer's Market Nutrition Program since 1994. Sadly though, it appears that the current maximum seasonal benefit is $25-- five allotments of $5.

It's certainly better than nothing, but it does seem a bit stingy, no? Some day soon when I have more time on my hands, I'll revisit the topic of WIC. It's not an uncontroversial program, and it merits discussion.

For now though, enjoy the mountain of lettuce, tinged red by the tent:




No comments: