Sunday, May 25, 2008

Summer vegetables put in their place


After picking out the wee vegetable plants, we went to the garden to put them in their place. My husband is so hip that he gardens in a straw fedora.  Check this out:


Among the rows of lettuce which will be retreating in the next six weeks or so, we planted a variety of tomato, pepper, squash, cucumber and eggplant plants. Eggplant plants. haha. Anyway, we also planted lavender, mint, watercress and basil. 

There seems to be some debate as to whether seeds or plants are the way to go with gardening. I am in the dark. The only trend I can decipher is that it seems that cooler, more experienced gardeners use seeds, and folks like me go with plants.  I'm not sure why/if I should aspire to be a seed-head.  If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear it. Also, has anyone ever planted eggplant? I'm having trouble picturing how much room it's going to take up. But, too late now! They're all in the ground, patiently waiting for their moment to shine. 

2 comments:

blighter said...

Love the hat. I've been recently rekindling my own interest in hats and I must say: that one is fantastic.

Also looking forward to reading the blog. Maye it'll even inspire me to use my kitchen for more than empty coke box storage...

-Bob (yes, that Bob)

saltygirl said...

that Bob! Thanks for visiting friend! I fully support the hat initiative... it definitely suits you. -saltygirl